Thursday, June 28, 2012

I love marathon training (when the weather is perfect!)

Julie and I did our long run for the week yesterday -- 10 miles.  We had to get it in by then because the weather forecast is stiffling for the next week or so.  It's supposed to be 100+ today and in the 90's after that.  But yesterday morning...oh, it was perfect! 

We met at 7:00 am,  and it was a brisk 58 degrees.  PERFECT.  We ran a 10-mile loop through Landen and around Landen Lake.  It was a really great run.  I felt good, my legs felt good, and I could breathe -- something I found difficult last week when it was so humid.  We had lots to talk about, and the first 4 miles just flew by.  We had water waiting for us in 3 spots, so we were able to keep hydrated too.  I could have easily kept on running.  I needed a run like that after last week's disasters.

I love running with Julie!  She is fun to talk to, and one of my few friends who has the same outlook as I do politcially and spiritually.

Tomorrow we are doing our first hill repeats.  Oddly, I am looking forward to it, even though it will be ungodly hot out.  I just want to get good at hills so the SF marathon doesn't kick us.  We're running the bike trail hill (aka the Miami Bluffs Hill...also known by me as the Killer Hill).  It's hard to make it all the way up to the top.  There is a super steep part that goes on for too long...and when you finally catch your breath, it starts up again. 

So I think the plan is to run up it and run or walk down it 4-6 times.  It's going to be tough. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment