Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Hill Repeats!

Julie and I attempted our first Hill Repeats last Friday.  It was a hot and humid morning, so I was happy to work on hills, rather than go out and run for an hour.  We chose the Miami Bluffs Hill, which is about 4/10ths of a mile long with an incline of 150 feet. That doesn't sound like much, but this is a hard hill -- we've run it a few other times, but always toward the end of a 6 mile run.  I've been able to make it to the top only a handful of times, and Julie hadn't yet conquered the hill, so we knew we had our work cut out for us.

It was hard, but we conquered that hill...six times! Oh yes we did!  For me, it seemed to get easier each time, except the last time, when the last part was super hard.  We weren't really sure how many times we should have done the hill.  I thought I read something about 4-6 times, so of course we did the larger number. 

I felt great that we were able to run the hill six times and make it to the top each time.  It really gives me hope for San Francisco.  Imagine, though, my surprise the next day when I woke up feeling more sore than after I ran the last marathon!  Our glutes got a workout, and I certainly felt it the entire day!  I know that means we got a good workout, but I never expected to be so sore!  Glad to report that Julie was sore too!

But all in all, I am glad we did the hill training, and I know we will keep it up throughout our training.  Our goal is to not let those San Francisco hills get the better of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment