Thursday, February 10, 2011

I think we're amazing!

Despite frigid temperatures that barely made it in to double digits (less than that with the windchill), the four of us bravely met at Pam's yesterday morning to set off on our longest training run to date -- 14 miles. Wrapped in layers of clothing plus scarves, ear muffs, hats, etc., we ran to our water drop off point and then hit the roads of Foster's Point and the hills known as the Sibcy Loop. Despite blind curves, we managed to avoid all traffic (or should I say the traffic managed to avoid us). We made a quick stop for water after 7 or so miles, only to find that the water in our water bottles had frozen. Yes, that's right.

You know it's cold when after 10 miles we're still bundled up in all of our clothing. Normally after a mile or two gloves come off, ear muffs get removed and we run in comfort. It's definitely harder to warm up when it's 11 degrees, which made for a challenging run. We ran for 2-1/2 hours, and we were all ready for that run to end. (We're almost always ready for our runs to end!)

I don't know about the rest of my group, but I was pretty tired the remainder of the day. All I wanted to do was take a nap...but couldn't rest my weary bones and tired out muscles until well after 11:00 pm. But it's amazing how good we all feel by the next day. :)

Despite how hard a run it was, how cold we were, and how sore we were immediately afterward, I am already looking forward to our long run next week when we get to tackle part of the Pig route, including THE HILL! I can't wait!!! What about you guys?

Julie here: So glad you summarized the run! I've got pictures and will post them tonight. It was a tough run, but I'm so glad we made it. Today, legs feel pretty good, though I have a right glute that is still whining a little. I had a hard time eating yesterday, but made up for it today with Cheezits. :^) I'll get those photos up as my contribution later! Thanks Patrice!


Pam takes calls, even on long runs. ;^)



Patrice and Elizabeth set the pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment